The Shanty

The Shanty
where I grew up

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Judgments


We all judge others. Whether intentionally or not, we do. What I don’t like is when people judge harshly to only become the person (or do the action) they hated and looked down on later on in life and claim that it’s different for them. One example would be someone who looks down on homeless people and then becomes homeless themselves but no longer sticks their nose up in the air about it because they’re different than all those they grew to hate previously. Or someone who believes their perfect match MUST have the same religious beliefs and all those who marry outside of this belief are going to hell. Then that ‘someone’ meets the man/woman of their dreams but don’t share a common religion and suddenly it becomes acceptable.

What I purpose is…instead of making strong judgments to begin with, why not give people the benefit of the doubt? I know this may sound weird coming from my mouth because I am someone who believes that stereotypes are there for a reason and I also believe that you make your own life but just because I believe something doesn’t make it right. It also doesn’t make it the norm. Additionally, how do I know I won’t be in that same situation tomorrow? A week from now? Next year? On my death bed? The truth is I don’t. And I certainly don’t want to be one of those people who has to experience things for myself to lose my judgments.

I challenge myself that the next time I see someone or something that I don’t agree with or that I pass judgment on, to make up a different, acceptable story and believe that instead. What difference does it make if I’m wrong or right other than a happier air in my head? And a more understanding feel for the differences in people and how none of us know what tomorrow could bring. And none of us know what we might do in the moment when faced with certain decisions. We might think we know, but we don’t. Perhaps you will join me and challenge yourself to do the same thing…

1 comment:

  1. unfortunately, to make snap judgments is human nature...but, to think lesser of people because of them is wrong. Spot on great post Amy! I am not judgmental in any way and believe in not being so wholeheartedly!

    ReplyDelete